Finally!

Oui, oui oui  il est enfin là!

Paris Skirt The Tutorial

Yes, yes, yes it’s finally here – how to make your very own Paris skirt in any size! I know it has taken awhile but here it is. Now before I get started I want to apologise for the lack-lustre photos, you see it is winter here and I have a finite time period with good light to get pretty good photos and to be honest it is about an hour not really enough time to write a tutorial, sew the skirt and take photos so I decided the photos would just have to suffer a bit. Also the weather wasn’t particular kind on the day I dedicated to this project, one minute the sun was out the next minute it was pitch black, but I figure you will all forgive me because the tutorial is finally here! (Oh no comment on our lovely ironing board cover lol)

 

Ok, lets get started! First up some maths (it’s easy I promise).

 

Grab a tape measure and take the waist measurement of the person the skirt is for. Record it as A = ?. [For example I’m making a size 3 so A = 54cm]

Divide the waist measurement by 2. [eg 54cm / 2 = 27cm]. Record is at B = ? and D = ? [eg B = 27cm and D = 27cm]

Add 2cm to your A & B measurements for your seam allowance. These are now your A & B measurements [eg. A = 56cm, B = 29cm]

You still with me? Ok.

Measure the from the waist to where you want the skirt to sit when finished and add 15cm to allow for the pleats and hem (only add 7cm if you don’t want the pleats). [eg. My skirt is going to sit on the knee with pleats so 28cm + 15cm = 43cm]  Record it as C = ? [eg. C = 43cm]

 

That is pretty much the maths all sorted. Time to work out how much fabric you need and get cutting.

You are going to have 4 pieces of fabric in total and 1 piece of iron on lightweight interfacing so here is what to cut:

WAISTBAND – Back – 1 piece of fabric 10cm x A [eg. 10cm x 56cm]

WAISTBAND – Front – 1 piece of fabric 10cm x B [eg. 10cm x 29cm]

SKIRT – 2 pieces of fabric A x C [eg. 56cm x 43cm]

INTERFACING – 1 piece measuring 8cm x D [eg. 8cm x 27cm]

 

So what fabric should you use? Anything really. For this tutorial I am using oxford and for the previous one blogged about HERE I used a lightweight cotton. I’m a cotton fabric fan but I am sure rayon’s and blends will work a treat.

 

You are also going to need matching thread and 25mm wide elastic approximately D – 2cm long (DON’T cut it yet but if this is all you have then you will get away with it!)

This is what you should have ready to go.

supplies

Ready? Let’s get sewing!

 

STEP 1 – Heat up your iron and iron everything. Iron the interfacing to the WRONG SIDE of the front waistband fabric piece making sure you centre it (and the shiny glue side is touchy the fabric). Fold front and back waistband pieces in half wrong sides together and give them a really good press. Unfold.

front waistband  waistband folded

STEP 2 – Pin, right sides together, the back waistband piece with the top of one of the skirt panels. Stitch across. (I am using an overlocker but sewing on a normal machine will work no problems at all, just sew the seam 1cm from the edge). Put aside.

back waistband pinned  back waistband sewn on

STEP 3 – We are now going to gather the top of the other skirt panel. To do this sew 3 (yes 3, trust me) rows of stitching evenly apart (I use the edge of the presser foot as a guide) on the longest stitch possible your machine does, leaving long tails of thread at each end. Don’t do any reversing or locking off stitches because we remove these rows of stitching later. By slowly pulling on the tails, at one end only, gather the fabric so it is as wide as the front waistband and pin. Sew together.

2nd gather line  3 gather linesmatching front waistband  front waistband sewn on

STEP 4 – Remove the gather stitching. Iron the seams of both the front and back waistbands up. (When you fold the waistbands back down you shouldn’t be able to see the seams)

iron up waistband  starting to look like a skirt

STEP 5 – Pin the front and back pieces right sides together and sew all the way to the top of the waistband (make sure it isn’t folded over). Overlock the waistband and hem edges (or zigzag if just using a sewing machine). Look it is resembling a skirt!

it looks like a skirt

STEP 6 – Iron down the waistband hem edge the width of the overlocking (or about 1cm if zigzagged) and iron up the bottom hem the same distance.

ironing hems

STEP 7 – For the hem with the wrong side of the skirt facing out fold up the skirt bottom 4cm from the pressed edge and press. (If you are lucky like me to have something that is 4cm wide keep it handy we are about to do a fair bit of 4cm pressing.) Sew hem about 3mm from top of the hem or 3.75cm from skirt bottom.

hem  sewing hem  finished hem

STEP 8 – Time for the pleats. Now don’t get scared they are actually quite easy and here’s hoping I do a pretty good job of explaining them (not sewing the pleats skip to STEP 10). With the wrong side of the skirt facing out fold the bottom of the skirt up 4 cm from hem stitching and press. Put a mark 2cm from the pressed edge. (This is your stitch mark. Also I really should have used contrasting thread!)

1st pleat  pleat marker

Line your needle up with the mark and find something on your sewing machine to follow. It should be close to the 3/4” mark on the machine. Stitch all the way around. Turn right side out and press down. 1st pleat down.

1st pleat sewn  what 1st pleat should look like

STEP 9 – For the 2nd pleat you do exactly the same as STEP 8 except you want to fold the skirt up 4cm from the stitch line of the 1st pleat. Press and stitch. Press 2nd pleat down.

2nd pleat

Pleats are done. See they weren’t too hard were they? Nearly finished!

nearly there pleats are done

STEP 10 – Since the iron is already out and hot, give the waistband another good press for good measure. Pin the BACK waistband only down, oh make sure the skirt is now wrong side out. Stitch the bottom of the BACK waistband down as close as you can to the bottom of the waistband (promise this is being stitched on the wrong side).

sewing down back waistband

STEP 11 – Turn the skirt right way out and measure the distance from the bottom of the waistband to your stitching line (mine was 3mm). Turn the skirt back to wrong side out and measure the same distance from the top of the waistband (3mm in my case) and make a little mark on the side seam. Stitch ALL THE WAY around the top of the waist band.

waistband top stitch

STEP 12 – Thread the elastic through the back casing you have just sewn. (Use a safety pin to make it easier.)Pin the elastic at the end where it pops out of the casing about 2cm past the side seam. Turn the skirt right side out and stitch the elastic in place along the side seam. Make sure you go back and forth a few times.

thread elastic  elastic threaded  sew elastic in place

STEP 13 – Try the skirt on the recipient and gather skirt along the elastic till the fit is right. If you are just going by measurements, measurement D – 2cm usually works. Pin in place about 2cm past the side seam. Make sure the skirt is right side out and stitch the elastic in place along the side seam. Make sure you go back and forth a few times. Trim the end of the elastic till about 0.5cm from the side seams.

sew elastic otherside

STEP 14 – Pin and sew down the bottom of the front waist band. Remember to line up with the back waistband stitching. And guess what???? YOU”RE FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Throw the skirt on if it’s for you, or put on it’s recipient and admire your handiwork!!! Great job!!!

finished 

A few notes –

  • This tutorial was made for a child’s size skirt. If making an adult skirt you may want to reduce the amount of fabric in the back panel if you find it is bulky. I haven’t made this particular skirt for me (yet) but I have made a number of standard full elastic waisted skirts and tend to use about 1.75 x waist measurement as a guide. Just a thought.
  • You can vary the width of the waistband thicker, thinner. Play around find what you like.
  • Why 3 gather lines when the standard is 2? Well, 3 simply gives neater gathers. When you use 3 the pleats are tighter and line up better. I promise once you try this you wont go back!

Make sure you share with me your creations I would love to see them!

25 comments:

  1. Oh, I love this! My daughter has a simple denim, pintucked skirt and I've been wanting to try to re-create it. Your tutorial is so beautifully done, can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Good luck creating your own :)

      Delete
  2. Just make sure when cutting the fabric that the selvage ends up going down the length of your skirt. If not, it will poof out in all the wrong places! Believe me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, it's SO cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For those of you who want to convert cm to Inches, it's 0.39370079 inches per cm. It's just a little added math, or you could just flip your measuring tape over and use the cm instead of the inches marking. I think it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made one today for my little girl's first day of kindergarten (she starts tomorrow - nothing like leaving it for the last minute!). It turned out SO cute! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it turned out! Would love to see a pic ;)

      Delete
  6. You didn't gather the back side of the skirt, so I'm wondering if the elastic waistband piece makes it look more similar to the gathered front and not as flat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to gather the back as the elastic does it for you :) who wants to do gathers more than they need too lol

      Delete
  7. I made it! With super cute giraffe fabric! :) I added a third pleat because when I was finished it was too long to be that shape so I added one in order to shorten it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to do this. Denmark like skifte. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would it be easy to make the back panel with a waistband too instead of gathered? I guess it would need a zipper added.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be easy to do, however you would definitely need a zipper to be able to put it on and off! Hmmmmm there could be a tutorial in that.

      Delete
  10. Just finished making one! Thank you so muh for the great tutorial! I linked back to it in my post: http://radianthomestudio.com/denim-paris-skirt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hoping to make a couple more soon :)

      Delete
  11. Gosh!! This is adorable, do you make them for money?! I think I will need this in a few colors, only issue is I am at the beginning of a pregnancy and I have a feeling its going to be a long hot summer. Let me know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, I certainly could make them to sell, however depending where you live and fabric choices it is probably easier (and cheaper) to find someone local (Live in Australia drop me a line). OR give it a try sewing them yourself, a local fabric store would probably be more than helpful in getting you started :) Cheers, Naomi

      Delete
  12. Thank you so much. I made it for one daughter and now another. I couldn't find a pattern I liked at all at the store, but loved this. It was very easy to follow and I made no mistakes. Thanks again for your kindness in taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing more information Glamour Amour | Affordable Fashion Clothes | Online Clothing Store | Trendy Clothes For Womem

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm going to be using your tutorial for the pleats to add it to a basic skirt I making for maternity wear. I will just do an elastic waistband all around, since that is what my body can do right now! :) I honestly thought this skirt was layered, but I love that it's just 2 pleats! What a fun detail. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for such a great tutorial. I loved this skirt, I made one with and one without pleats, both are beautiful and both my children love them!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tutorial is a gift. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete